Saturday, March 17, 2012

I get shit changed....

So we are in Louisiana doing this whole factory training for my boat and I actually was attentive this week. Most of the time I am occupied with my crossword puzzle and only pay enough attention to answer a question if it gets directed to me. That skill takes years of schooling to acquire. Haha.

Anyways, this week we were going over our small boat. I love boats. As we are going over the boat specs I noticed that there are no seat belts. Now mostly everyone was like "no big deal". But me, being extremely clumsy person I am (that and the whole "if it will happen you it will happen to me" thing) I thought the whole no seat belt was a big deal. Especially since I just went through the pursuit school and got tossed around even with a seat belt on.

I explained my point of view to the XO and he really listened to what I had to say. He stated that since me and the other guy just came from the school so we are pretty much the subject matter experts. He asked me to do some research on the policies and let him know what I find.

Long story short....I found out that seat belts are required to do any pursuit activity and other little important tidbits. The CO was briefed and he sent out an email to a bunch of higher ups (ie I was the only enlisted on the email). The Sector commander sent an email back stating that he was thankful that we found the issue and thought it was a major safety issue and needed to be resolved. It went all the way up to the Officer who is in charge for the oversite of the Cutter project.

Yeah it totally shot up the chain FAST. The awesome thing was that it came back full circle and the people who are in charge of the delivery process. The Master Chief came to me for information on getting the seat belts. Now technically I shouldn't have to help him because that was his responsibility not mine, but I had all the info already there and knew all of the answers to his questions. Either way he was told to make sure there were seatbelt on that boat before we take delivery of it.





P.S. The first boat may get a talking to for not noticing it. Hehe. Yeah we (our boat) is Just Fucking Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment