Tuesday, May 15, 2012

That was as much fun as...

Last night was not fun for me. I was getting ready to go to bed at around 10 pm and I heard some noises in my hall closet. I opened it up and water was all over the place. At first I thought it was coming from my a/c so I shut off all the circuit breakers. I opened it all up to investigate and the inside was fairly dry. Nothing outside of the normal condensation. I'm like: where in the hell is all this water coming from.

The wall under my a/c


So after laying down a bunch of towels I called the repair service. Of course a leaking a/c is not an emergency and I would have to call at 8 am to get someone to come look at it. After I investigated further (and tore some insulation down) I found where the water was coming from. Upstairs. Great.

Vent above my a/c leading up to the ceiling.


I have lived here for almost a year and I can only tell you the first name of one of the people who live here. Not very sociable. So I go up stairs and knock on their door. They don't answer. I know they are there because I heard the tv on. So I knock and knock, and knock, and knock a lot more. Nothing. Awesome.

I start calling every number related to this apartment. The manager wasn't in so I left a message. The Association was closed and their emergency number was bogus. The security guard who is usually patrolling out front was no where to be found, and the landlady didn't answer her phone. I start to flip the fuck out. Nobody is around for an emergency? Seriously?

I tried knocking on the neighbors door again and he finally answered. He opened the door and was like no its not me, my floor is dry. Grrr. So with nothing I could do until the morning, I told my boss I wouldn't be in. At 11:30 pm I just put a plastic tub there to catch the water. I got to bed at 1 am after I finally cleaned up as best as I could. (With no a/c of course)

That's an inch of water in the tub from only a couple of hours.
So to make a long story short, this morning around 9 am I was finally able to get a hold of the manager. He looked at it and thought it was my line that was leaking but went to check upstairs. After he came back he told me it was the guy upstairs. His drain line was broke and it has been like that for so long that there are mushrooms growing. Disgusting. How can you not notice that!?!

So he got it fixed today, I hope. The water has stopped. I am going to give it a day to dry out and try to clean up some more. The bad thing in all of this is that I have mold growing behind the a/c that I never noticed. The landlady is out of town and the owner is out of the country, so I have no idea when the mold is going to be cleaned up. The drywall right there needs to be replaced. If I wasn't going to be leaving soon for more training, this wouldn't be so bad. Not good timing. But is there ever a good time for bad things to happen?

Mold behind the a/c

So. Yup. That was as much fun as using a tooth pick to fight off a pack of rabid ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment